Monday, December 4, 2006

Yesterday...a road trip to Seagrove, North Carolina


Here is my MINI parked in front of Seagrove Pottery. http://www.seagrovepotteryheritage.com/ http://www.discoverseagrove.com/ A fun day and another cool way to add some miles to the break-in process. I am now up to 601 miles! My first MPG was 26.29 with low average speeds...no over-revs mind you. Tonight I averaged 28.39 over the last 313.4 miles. $2.49 a gallon for BP premium! Ouch. The mpg is coming up as the engine breaks-in. The US government and window sticker MPG highway is quoted at 32 MPG for this car http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm and I think I can beat that quite a bit by using sixth gear on the four lane. Of course on the way to the speed limit is another matter....that may hurt the average a bit! Of course my trusty computer display on the tachometer is actually tracking rather close to my manual calculations.
Back to Pottery, for those who don't know Seagrove is a treasure trove of potteries. We rode down on Sunday afternoon only to find about half the shops closed! We picked up a list of open potteries and I quickly zeroed-in on two places I really like. I am a big fan of raku pottery and have a few cool pieces. Ray Pottery has some nice stuff and I headed over there via Cagle Road and some very nice twisty back roads to let my MINI rock. It was nice.....We picked up a few holiday gifts for some friends...This guy has some awesome green or white raku pieces and really nice red colored pieces....and a cool shop to boot. We headed back into Seagrove to stop at another favorite shop...LDDJ Pottery where they have some really cool stuff. I bought a nice glazed green flat fish with a cool design to add to the collection of stuff in the house. A fun day!

No comments: