Saturday, September 27, 2008

PL Newman


Paul Newman. I knew the day would come when he would be gone. He was reported to be sick months ago and was looking rather thin now for the last couple of years. I never met him but I saw him from a distance several times. I met his racing partner of many years, Carl Haas in Indianapolis at the US Grand Prix. I should show you that photo sometime.

This morning I was chatting with a list of friends from around the world as we watched the Formula One Grand Prix qualifying live from Singapore. A friend of mine from Canada told me via a chat message that Paul has just died. Bummer.

In the picture above you can see the red, white, and blue Oldsmobile with Paul driving in 1990 at the F1 USGP in Phoenix. His car usually said "PL Newman" He never really liked anyone to know who he really was. He was an awesome driver and from the local talk on this day he had his pal Tom Cruise in tow for the weekend. They were just hanging out for the weekend watching F1. He had a chance to drive in this warm-up race and went for it. And he was good at it. I took this 35mm print with my old Pentax ME Super from my seat that day.

I don't have much to say about Paul that the media hasn't already said. I will say I love the fact he was good at what he did no matter what is was. He lived well and was true to his friends and family. He gave his time and money to the greater good. A true mentor, I never met him in person but I will never forget him.

No comments: